Plumbing emergencies cancause a lot of damageand catch you off guard. That’s why when they happen, one needs to take prompt action to curb and cure the issue.
Here are some things you can do to confront a plumbing emergency before the experts take over:
- Stop the Water Flow: In the event of a plumbing emergency, the first thing you need to do is cut off the water supply. To do this you need to shut the main valve of your house off by turning it clockwise.
- Turn the Water Heater Off: In case of a major plumbing issue, it is best to turn off your water heater as well to avoid damaging it. If left on, the heater could burst or malfunction from overheating.
- Tend the Leaks: If you spot any leaks, use plumbing tape or towels to stop the water. Make note of them so once plumbing professionals arrive, they can easily find and fix any leaks or burst pipes.
- Drain the Water Stuck in Pipes: Turning off the main valve will ensure that more water does not flow through your pipes, but what about the water that is already there? To prevent damage from this water, you have to drain the pipes out. One good way of doing it is to turn on any spigots you might have outdoors. If your drains are clogged, try to unclog them gently by using a plunger.
- Get an Expert ASAP: While it may be tempting to try and deal with the plumbing problem yourself, you should always seek out a professional. This is because their expertise and experience will allow them to diagnose and fix things quickly and prevent future issues.
Finding Emergency Plumbing Services
To be able to contact a plumber to help with an emergency, you need to have a reliable emergency plumbing services provider in place. When it comes to finding a plumbing company you can trust, there are a few things you should base your judgment on.
A good way to evaluate a company is to review its website. Go through their services and testimonials to get ahold of what you can expect from them if caught in an emergency. Use this information to ascertain whether this company is the right fit.